Here is a popular version of sponge cake. This Chocolate Sponge Cake can be used as a base for many cakes. Once prepared and cooled, the sponge cake can be stored in the freezer at -18°C (0°F) for 2 months, wrapped in plastic bags. If necessary, you can store the sponge cake in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap, for about 2 weeks!
- Stand Mixer
- Cake Pan
- 300 gr Eggs
- 200 gr Grranulated Sugar
- 200 gr All-Purpose Flour
- 20 gr Cocoa
- 50 gr Butter sciolto tiepido
- 4 gr Salt
- Beat the eggs at fridge temperature with the sugar in the mixer on medium speed until the mass grows about 5 times its initial volume.You can check that the mixture is ready by lifting it up with the whisk and letting it fall back into the bowl. If the mixture stays on the surface for a bit, then the mixture is ready.
- Sift the flour and cocoa and gently add them to the egg mixture.
- Take a small portion ( about 10%) of the mixture and combine it with the melted and lukewarm butter.
- Add the butter mixture into the sponge cake mass and mix thoroughly, stirring with a spatula from the bottom up.
- Fill buttered and floured cake pans to ¾ of the height, taking care to level the edges before baking.
- Bake at 180°C (356°F) for about 22 minutes.
- After baking, remove the sponge cake from the mold, sprinkle it with granulated sugar, and turn it upside down to uniform the surface. Cool immediately to +4°C (39°F) to maintain the humidity inside the product.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 204mg | Sodium: 172mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 478IU | Calcium: 267mg | Iron: 12mg
Translated from Italian with Love