Here is one of the main basics of Italian Pastry. A good sponge cake must be soft, aerated, and fondant in the mouth.The secret to preparing it in the best way is to obtain a well-whipped mass and to be very careful not to break it up when incorporating the flour.Once ready and cooled, you can store the sponge cake in the freezer at -18°C (0°F) for about 2 months, closed in plastic bags.
- Stand Mixer
- Cake Pan
- 500 gr Eggs
- 300 gr Granulated Sugar
- 200 gr All-Purpose Flour
- 100 gr Potato Starch
- 5 gr Salt
- 1 pod Vanilla
- Lemon Zest
- Beat the eggs at fridge temperature with the sugar in the mixer on medium speed until the mass grows about 5 times its initial volume.You can check that the mixture is ready by lifting it up with the whisk and letting it fall back into the bowl. If the mixture stays on the surface for a bit, then the mixture is ready.
- Sift flour and starch 2 times and add to egg mass with a spatula mixing from the bottom up.
- Fill buttered and floured cake pans to ¾ of the height, taking care to level the edges before baking.
- Bake at 180°C (356°F) for about 22 minutes.
- After baking, remove the sponge cake from the mold, sprinkle it with granulated sugar, and turn it upside down to uniform the surface. Cool immediately to +4°C (39°F) to maintain the humidity inside the product.
- If necessary, you can store the sponge cake in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap, for about 2 weeks!
Serving: 100g | Sodium: 127mg | Calcium: 221mg | Vitamin C: 1mg | Vitamin A: 338IU | Sugar: 38g | Fiber: 2g | Potassium: 250mg | Cholesterol: 233mg | Calories: 370kcal | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fat: 6g | Protein: 12g | Carbohydrates: 67g | Iron: 10mg